Banana Bread must be one of the most popular bakes of recent years. There are countless recipes for this lovely bread, different variations and adaptations. I have been baking my banana bread for a long time and throughout the years I’ve tried and tested many different recipes. This particular variation is my healthier version with lovely wholemeal flour used to increase fibre and sugar and butter reduced as well. My Wholesome Banana Bread relies on really (and I mean REALLY) ripe bananas for its sweetness and some of the butter have been substituted with natural yogurt without the loss of moisture in a final bake. I say RESULT!
My husband isn’t one to eat breakfast first thing in the morning. He needs to be “going” for a while before he can actually face to eat anything. He leaves the house quite early and all the healthy brekkie options go out of the window. Breakfast “on the go” is a must for him most mornings. My Wholesome Banana Bread recipe is perfect as occasional brekkie “on the go” if you want to avoid sugar laden breakfast bars you can buy in the shops. Do I need to add that kids absolutely adore a slice as after school snack?
This loaf freezes really well too so you can get baking and use up all those overripe bananas lurking in your fruit bowl and fill the freezer with slices of this moreish bread! You can also play around with what you add to it. If walnuts are not your thing, simply live them out or substitute with the nuts of your choice. Perhaps a bit of added chocolate wouldn’t go amiss – add 75g of milk or dark chocolate chips or handful of sultanas, dried cranberries etc. You get my drift. 🙂
If you are after another lovely bake and like baking with fruit why not try my Summery Easy Strawberry Yogurt Cake It’s a perfect teatime treat!
Wholesome Banana Bread
- 250 g wholemeal flour
- 2 large very ripe bananas (approx 260g peeled)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50 g unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 50 g plain yogurt
- 100 g brown sugar
- 50 g walnut pieces optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put sugar and eggs in a mixer bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Add mashed up bananas and mix again.
- Add yogurt and mix again until just incorporated.
- Add flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and mixed spice and mix well until combined. Towards the end add in melted butter and mix some more.
- Add some walnut pieces (if using) and fold in gently until combined.
- Pour the mixture into tin loaf (roughly 23 x 11cm) lightly greased and sprinkled with flour.
- Bake until toothpick or skewer inserted into centre comes out clean approx 55min.
- Let it rest in a tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if you wish.
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Wholesome Banana Bread with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too