This week being half term week here in the UK, I fancied a quick and easy snack I could make with the boys for our little excursions. As it’s also a week in a run up to Halloween I knew they would most likely have abundance of chocolate treats so wanted something that little bit healthier. We all love flapjacks but not the amount of sugar in them so decision was made to make a batch that is a bit healthier but still super tasty. Say hello to my Healthier Date & Banana Flapjacks. 🙂
It’s such a quick and easy bake which is mostly sweetened with super overripe bananas and some sticky pureed dates. If you wanted to make these completely refined sugar free than substitute golden syrup with some honey. Make sure you use really, really overripe bananas though as they are the main source of sweetness here.
I am pretty partial to flapjacks and enjoy them both soft and crunchy, perhaps with slight preference towards soft. And that is exactly what this recipe gives you. Beautifully soft and chewy, almost cakey like flapjack. I thought the slice of banana on each square would be a nice little touch and it worked really well. I added generous teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix as well as I love the combination with banana.
Check out my other flapjacks recipe – Chewy Cranberry Flapjacks (Granola Bars). It’s slightly naughtier but really delicious!
In case you are looking for some more snack recipes head over to the Snack Archives of the blog where you will find variety of sweet and savoury delights you might want when out and about.
Healthier Date & Banana Flapjacks
- 250 g porridge oats
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp golden syrup or honey
- 50 g soft dates dried and pitted
- 200 g really overripe bananas peeled weight
- 16 banana slices to put on top of flapjack squares
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Square baking tin approx. 23x23cm or equivalent, lined with baking paper
- Put dates in a small bowl and pour over few tablespoons of boiling water (only to cover them). Let them soak 5 minutes or so.
- Put butter and golden syrup in a pan and melt together stirring over gentle heat. Set aside.
- Blend banana together with soaked dates (including water) until smooth (I use my stick blender for this).
- Pour melted butter and golden syrup mixture and dates & banana mixture over the oats and stir well.
- Put the mixture into prepared baking tin and smooth it over with the back of the spoon.
- Gently mark flapjack portions with the back of the knife and place one banana slice in each square.
- Bake at 160C for approx. 30 min until light golden.
- Cool & enjoy!
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Healthier Date & Banana Flapjacks with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Treat Petite hosted by Kat at The Baking Explorer
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too