It appears we have Summer in full swing now and even had our first proper heat wave! You have no idea how happy it makes me and I don’t even mind being too hot, bring it on! 🙂
Add some wonderfully tasty Summery food and drink to the equation and I’m in heaven and as weekend is almost here I thought that a bit of cake wouldn’t go amiss! Won’t you agree? I thought something light and fruity would be appropriate. As it’s June and Strawberries are at their best I decided upon this Easy Strawberry Yogurt Cake.
This cake is perfect for this time of year and would be a wonderful accompaniment to afternoon tea, as a part of the picnic fare or a light dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! I use homemade vanilla caster sugar in this recipe. It sounds pretty fancy I know but it’s just caster sugar with used up pods of vanilla which I pop in a jar and top up with more sugar as I go along. Feel free to use regular caster sugar and add 1 tsp of vanilla extract instead.
There are only two very important things you need to remember before embarking on making this cake. These will ensure that you get a fluffy and light cake instead of dense and heavy disaster.
- All the ingredients (including yogurt) MUST be at room temperature.
- DO NOT overmix the batter.
That’s really all there is to it! Get baking and enjoy! 🙂
Easy Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- ***All ingredients should be at room temperature***
- 350 g plain flour
- 255 g plain yogurt
- 85 mls sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 160 g caster sugar with vanilla or regular caster sugar + 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 punnet of strawberries hulled and halved lengthwise.
- Icing sugar
- Rectangular baking tin 28x18cm or equivalent
- Prepare your baking tin by greasing it and lining the bottom with baking/greaseproof paper.
- Put oil, eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until combined (use a whisk or a mixer).
- Add yogurt and mix again until just incorporated. Don't worry if it looks as if it curdled, adding flour will fix it.
- Sieve flour and baking powder into the bowl with wet ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Pour the cake batter onto prepared tin.
- Arrange strawberries on top of the batter (cut way up) and press them in gently.
- Bake at 180C for approx 35-40 min until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Serve with ice cream or cream and enjoy!
Have you got room for more? Why not try these:
Or if you fancy different bake altogether check out my Chocolate Brioche Pudding with Raspberries
Pin for Later!
I’m linking my Easy Strawberry Yogurt Cake with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too
Simple and in Season hosted by Katie at Feeding Boys