This Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake is a twist on a classic lemon favourite. It is super simple to make, uses only handful of ingredients and is wonderfully tangy and moist. Perfect dessert or accompaniment to afternoon tea!
My love affair with blood oranges continues, although (sadly) the season is now slowly coming to an end. Funny enough, this late in the season, I finally got some of that gorgeous “blood” hue in my oranges I didn’t have earlier on. Even though it doesn’t affect the flavour at the slightest and they were delicious throughout, I just love how beautiful they look in their full glory. Consider this Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake as my grand finale to what’s been a fantastic and full of Vit C and citrus goodness winter season!
This recipe is based on very traditional, all-in-one method for the lemon drizzle cake I’ve been making for years. It has recently dawned on me (when enjoying yet another tasty blood orange) that I should really try taking advantage of this gorgeous juicy fruit in the drizzle cake. The result of my little swap was absolutely delicious and I simply had to share this recipe on the blog.
Do not fret if you don’t have access to blood oranges. Simply substitute them with any type you can get your hands on. I find Navel Oranges (widely available) the closest in sweetness. They also don’t have any seeds which is always a bonus.
Helpful tips when baking Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake
As much as I love cakes baked with butter I must say that when it comes to cakes that use “all-in-one” method you cannot beat baking spread. You can of course use butter here as well if that’s your preference.
Make sure that as soon as your cake is out of the oven you make a lot of little wholes with the skewer (as per my step-by-step photos below) and pour your blood orange syrup over them while the cake is still nice and hot. This will ensure maximum absorption and keep your cake so beautifully moist! Once you’ve done that, let your cake cool completely in a tin and only then turn it out onto a plate.
Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake – Step-By-Step
Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake
Blood Orange Drizzle Cake
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour sieved
- 225 g baking spread or softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- zest of one blood orange
- 100 ml milk
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- juice and zest of one blood orange
- 100 g caster sugar
Loaf tin (23x11cm / 9x4inch) or 20cm/8inch round cake tin
Blood Orange Drizzle Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / gas mark 4.
- Prepare a loaf tin or alternatively round cake tin (as per above) by greasing it and lining with greaseproof paper.
- Put caster sugar, baking spread, eggs and blood orange zest into the mixing bowl. Next add sieved flour and baking powder followed by milk. Mix using paddle attachment of your food processor or with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until all the ingredients are combined and your mixture looks smooth.
- Pour your cake mixture onto prepared loaf or cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for approx. 50 min until the skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Prepare your syrupy topping by mixing caster sugar with juice and zest of one blood orange until sugar dissolves in the juice.
- Take your cake out of the oven and put it on the cooling rack.
- Using the skewer, prick the top of your cake all over to make little holes.
- Spoon syrupy topping gently all over the cake allowing for it to get through the little holes. Make sure you use up the entire mixture.
- Let the cake stand in the tin until completely cooled. Remove it from the tin, slice and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Feel free to use softened unsalted butter instead of baking spread if you want.
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature and the flour is sieved.
- The syrupy topping should be poured over the cake as soon as it's out of the oven for maximum absorption.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on 20 March 2018 and updated in March 2019 with some more useful info, updated Pin and recipe card.
Similar recipes you might enjoy
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE LATEST RECIPES FROM JO’S KITCHEN LARDER
Have you tried my Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake recipe? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
Pin Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake for later!
I’m linking my Easy Blood Orange Drizzle Cake with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too
Baking Crumbs hosted by Angela at Only Crumbs Remain