These delectable Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins are my way of waving farewell to Summer. With August Bank Holiday in the UK pretty much marking the end of the Summer Holidays it’s time to gear ourselves up for new school year, sort out uniforms and think what’s there still to be done before the first school run in September. I don’t know about you but I couldn’t do it without indulging in a little comforting chocolate treat and shedding a tear or two for what’s been a fantastic Summer!
All good things must come to an end as they say although there is still one full care-free week for my eldest and almost three weeks for my youngest who doesn’t start school until mid September. Trying to keep them occupied in between the times when I’ve been leaving them to be “bored” so that I can actually get something done has proven somewhat challenging but I’ve managed on occasion. These muffins were brought to existence one afternoon last week when my kids were “encouraged” 😉 to re-discover some of their once favourite toys they have since forgotten about.
Why are these muffins so good?
One thing I really love about muffins is that they are super quick to make and you don’t need any fancy equipment either – couple of bowls, a whisk and some spatulas and spoons will do. Oh and a sieve…
I thought that adding a swirl of cream cheese mixture to lovely and rich yet fluffy and light muffins will work really well and I was definitely right. The cream cheese layer is fairly thin as it spreads out during baking providing this lovely cheesecakey flavour dimension against the chocolatey richness, I absolutely adore these.
As I’ve used cocoa powder and some dark chocolate chips these muffins are quite rich and almost savoury in flavour but you could uses milk or even white chocolate chips to sweeten things up a bit if you wanted to.
Give them a go, so little effort and such a huge reward plus they will make those last days of Summer Holidays that bit more delicious!
Make sure you stay up to date with all the latest recipes from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins
- 250 g plain flour
- 30 g cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml plain, full fat yogurt
- 100 ml rapeseed/sunflower/olive oil
- 50 g dark or milk chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 200 g full fat cream cheese
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
- Put yogurt, eggs and oil in a large bowl and give them a good whisk. Add brown sugar and whisk until nice and smooth (the mixture will be the colour of caramel). Set aside.
- In another bowl weigh out all your dry ingredients (flour, cocoa and baking powder). Sift these directly onto the wet ingredients and mix in gently only until all the dry ingredients are fully incorporated (do not overmix). Add chocolate chips and fold them in gently.
- Prepare cream cheese mixture by whisking cream cheese with egg, sugar and vanilla until nice and smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Fill 12 muffin cases half way up with chocolate muffin batter. Follow with cream cheese mixture (divide it evenly in between 12 muffin cases - approx. 2 heaped tsp per muffin). Follow with a small dollop of remaining chocolate batter mixture on top of cheese mixture. You can bake these as they are or using a toothpick swirl cheese and chocolate mixture around a bit. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the skewer inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Remove to the cooling rack to cool completely and enjoy!
- Calories are approximate and per muffin
- Feel free to replace dark chocolate chips with milk or even white chocolate ones for sweeter, less savoury flavour
Some more sweet and savoury muffins you might enjoy:
Have you tried my Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them! You can also come and say hello over on my Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram or Google+
Pin Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins For Later!
I’m linking my Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins recipe with the following pages:
Cook Blog Share hosted this week by Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too
Last one ever We Should Cocoa hosted by Choclette at Tin & Thyme
Baking Crumbs hosted this month by me 😉