These Cheesy Carrot and Courgette Muffins came about by accident and during the fridge clear out. Trying to come up with a snack food using tired courgette, a chunk of cheddar and a carrot. Soup perhaps? Would kids eat it though? To be fair they probably would but I fancied something more portable we can take with us to the park after school. Savoury muffins were born. 🙂
The original recipe comes from My Daddy Cooks: 100 Fresh New Recipes for the Whole Family and as you can imagine the flavour combination I am proposing here is only the tip of the iceberg. I’m thinking crispy bacon and leeks next time… Now, where were we?
One thing to mention straight from the start is the water content of the veg you are using. Courgettes especially have very high water content, hence (once grated) the excess liquid they produce should be squeezed out. You can use thin muslin cloth or kitchen towel to squeeze the liquid out or simply pop them onto the sieve over the sink and squeeze as much as you can with your hand. Do the same with grated carrot.
What I really love about these muffins is that they are so quick and easy to prepare (no need for food processor here). Just pop your dry ingredients in a bowl, mix, add wet ingredients, mix again et voila! Add to it the fact that they are freezable so you can always have perfect little snack ready, just take them out of the freezer and defrost in room temperature for couple of hours.
The recipe calls for self-raising flour but if you don’t have any there is another quick tip, make your own! All it takes is mixing 2tsp of baking powder for each 150g of plain flour (as per Nigella Lawson herself).
One quite important tip I need to give you here is to try and resist eating these Cheesy Carrot and Courgette Muffins straight from the oven. When they first come out they will feel firm and springy to the touch, however they will be quite sloppy inside. Let them cool first (I know it’s difficult, trust me). They are best slightly warm but definitely let them rest once out of the oven and you shall be rewarded!
Cheesy Carrot and Courgette Muffins
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 125 g mature cheddar grated
- 175 ml milk
- 55 ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- salt pepper
- 1 large courgette grated and liquid squeezed out one I used was approx 340g
- 1 large carrot grated and liquid squeezed out one I used was approx. 150g
- Start with preparing your veggies by washing and grating the courgette (no need to peel) and washing, peeling and grating the carrot. Squeeze the excess liquid as discussed above.
- In a bowl mix together flour and grated cheese. Add grated veggies and mix some more.
- Follow with all your wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide between 12 muffin cases and bake in 180°C for approx. 25-30 min. Make sure the top is nicely coloured and springs back when you touch it. Let the muffins cool on the cooling rack.
Pin For Later!