If you are not a breakfast person first thing in the morning and need to be out the door early, than you will love my portable Breakfast Muffin Frittatas. I started making them for my hubby who doesn’t eat breakfast first thing but lives on coffee till mid morning. It’s fine on a relaxing weekend when you can have a tasty breakfast even in the middle of the day if you wish but during the week it does get complicated! These delicious eggy muffins are perfect for him when he finally feels hungry at around 10 o’clock. I do earn brownie points for supply of those, that’s for sure. 🙂
These super easy and quick to make Breakfast Muffin Frittatas are perfect when you are busy during the week as they can be prepared in advanced and packed as a convenient and healthy brekkie on the go. No more cheeky pastries! 😉
I tend to make them on Sunday evening as I’m clearing up after dinner as they are so quick to put together. The combination of ingredients I’m suggesting here is only a start and you can use whatever veg you’ve got in the fridge that needs using up or that you fancy. Swap ham or bacon for smoked salmon or flaked smoked mackerel perhaps. Add grated courgette or little broccoli florets instead of peppers or tomatoes. Spinach or kale wouldn’t go amiss either. You can really play around with what you’ve got and make these your own.
There is one thing to bare in mind when making these. Don’t be tempted to use regular paper muffin cases as your frittatas will stick to them and you will end up with most of your eggy muffin on the case as opposed to in your belly. What a waste would that be! Make sure you spray the muffin tin cups with some oil/olive oil which you then gently distribute all over the cup with your fingers. As long as you do that, you will not have any problems with getting your frittatas out of the tin (make sure you let them cool down slightly first though).
This recipe yields 6 mini frittatas but you can of course easily make a double batch. I would say that two of these make a nice portion. I usually jazz things up a bit for my fussy hubster and alternate his frittatas with couple of slices of my Wholesome Banana Bread or Nutty Pumpkin Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips as his brekkies on the go.
Mini Breakfast Frittatas
- 4 large eggs
- 50 ml milk
- 6 slices of ham/smoked bacon
- half a red pepper or whole romano pepper or 1 tomato deseeded and roughly chopped
- 50 g strong cheddar grated
- salt and pepper
- oil/olive oil
Non-stick muffin tin to bake frittatas in.
- Spray muffin tin with a little oil/olive oil and make sure all the muffin cups are well greased by distributing oil evenly all around with your fingers.
- Line each muffin cup with slice of ham or bacon.
- Deseed and roughly chop your pepper or tomato.
- Distribute chopped pepper/tomato evenly between muffin cups and follow by grated cheddar and finely chopped chives.
- Whisk the eggs together with milk and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture little by little into muffin tin cups, distributing it evenly until it's all gone.
- Bake in 180°C for approx. 25 minutes until browned and slightly puffed up (they will collapse as they cool).
- Let them cool in the muffin tin before taking them out as they are then easier to remove. Prise gently with a knife if required.
- Enjoy them warm or cold!
If you are after some more breakfast ideas, why not try my delicious Strawberry Fields Overnight Oats or perhaps if you are a home baker you might want to give these Easy Yoghurt Bread Rolls a go. They are perfect freshly baked for brekkie with jam, honey, lemon curd or perhaps a side of scrambled eggs. Yum!
These Cheesy Carrot and Courgette Muffins would be another option you might like (more as a snack or lunch perhaps).
Have you tried my Breakfast Muffin Frittatas? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
If you don’t want to miss new recipes and updates from me make sure to subscribe to new recipe alerts in the top right corner of this page or come and say hello over on my Facebook page, Twitter or Instagram
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Breakfast Muffin Frittatas post with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too