I thought I should really kick this blog off with something chocolatey as you cannot go wrong with chocolate, well at least in my eyes you can’t. 🙂 First time I baked this Best Ever Chocolate Courgette Cake was last September when children were going back to school and to commiserate the end of summer. Well what can I say, it definitely softened the blow, everybody loved it…
I must warn you from the start though, this cake is not even remotely healthy, sorry. 🙁 Ok, it does contain a vegetable plus substantial amount of good quality dark chocolate so maybe a bit. Ok, let’s say a bit! 🙂 What it is for sure though, is super moist, fudgey and oh so chocolatey! This really is one of the best chocolate cakes I have ever eaten!
Useful tips when baking Best Ever Chocolate Courgette Cake!
- Courgette (zucchini) contains a lot of water so once grated pop it onto a sieve over the sink and try to squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible.
- Make sure you start checking on your cake about 10 minutes before the end of recommended baking time. Baking time will be strictly related to the size of your tin. Do your first toothpick test and if not clean, give your cake another 5-10 min and check again. Repeat if necessary. If you are using similar cake size to mine (25 cm round springform tin), it should take approx 50-55 min for the cake to be ready.
- When you start adding dry ingredients alternating with yogurt/cream, make sure you ONLY mix until the ingredients are incorporated. DO NOT overmix as this will result in a denser cake.
- Get baking!
Recipe adapted from Moje Wypieki
If you’re a fan of seasonal bakes then take a look at some of my other Summery bakes like these White Chocolate & Almond Blondies with Raspberries or Easy Strawberry Yogurt Cake. My Wholesome Banana Bread is also a perfect bake to use up those cheeky overripe bananas lurking in your fruit bowl no matter the time of year! 🙂
Best Ever Chocolate Courgette Cake
- 115 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 250 g (1 1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sour cream or plain full fat yogurt
- 300 g (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60 g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 340 g (approx 2-2 1/2 cups) grated courgette (zucchini) don’t peel it before grating, if using overgrown courgettes you might want to discard the seeds (no need to do this when using young, small ones)
- 60 g (1/3 cup) dark chocolate chips or roughly chopped dark chocolate
- 100 g (2/3 cup) dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 40 g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
- All the ingredients should be at room temperature. Sieve flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and put aside.
- Mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue mixing. Gradually add oil and vanilla.
- Add sieved dry ingredients in three parts alternating with sour cream/yogurt. Mix only until all the ingredients are incorporated, do not over mix. Add courgette and chocolate chips and mix gently.
- Put the mixture in 25cm springform baking tin (or equivalent) lined with baking paper and bake for approx 50-55 mins at 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3 until the toothpick comes out clean. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool before spreading chocolate ganache.
- For ganache put butter and chopped dark chocolate in a pan on low heat and mix until melted and combined. Cool slightly, spread onto your cake and enjoy!
- Calories are approximate per slice and a guideline only.
Have you tried my Best Ever Chocolate Courgette Cake? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them! You can also come and say hello over on my Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram or Google+
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Best Ever Chocolate Courgette Cake with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too
Simple and in Season hosted by Katie at Feeding Boys