Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish

Posted in Mains, Snacks by
Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish
Spread the love...Share on Facebook7Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest100Share on Yummly2Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon1Email this to someonePrint this page

My family loves pastry and eggs hence quiches do feature quite regularly on our table. There is always something in the fridge and cupboards that can be used for the filling which is also perfect for sneaking a veg or two. This particular Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish is one of our favourites.

Smoked mackerel is such a great ingredient to have in your fridge. It is relatively inexpensive, delicious and really good for you. In combination with horseradish and spring onions, this lovely eggy tart will have your taste buds do a little dance. 🙂 Pair it up with lovely green salad or veg on a side and you got yourself perfect dinner, lunch or brunch (that’s why I love quiche, so versatile)! 😉

Some people get put off by recipes involving making their own pastry but let me assure you, it really is easier than it seems. If you prefer, however, feel free to use ready made shortcrust pastry for this recipe.

Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish

Few Tips:

• I would not recommend adding any salt to your filling as smoked mackerel will provide enough saltiness. Good amount of freshly ground pepper on the other hand, yes please. 🙂
  • Don’t feel that you need to stick to the exact amount of smoked mackerel, use what you’ve got. Smoked mackerel has got a very strong flavour which will definitely come through.
  • I find it is best to let your quiche rest for a few minutes after baking which makes it easier to remove from the tin and cut as well.

If you are after more smoked mackerel recipes why not try my Leeks and Smoked Mackerel Risotto perfect idea for mid week dinner.

Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish

Yield: 3-4 adults as lunch/brunch or 2 adults and 2 kids as dinner

For the pastry
  • 250g plain flour
  • 125g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
  • good pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp cold water
  • 1egg beaten for sealing the pastry after blind bake.
    For the filling
  • 220g smoked mackerel fillets
  • 3 large eggs
  • 300mls single cream
  • 1-2 Tbsp creamed horseradish
  • small bunch of spring onions or chives, chopped or snipped with kitchen scissors
  • freshly ground pepper to taste

Pastry
  1. Put the flour, butter and salt in the food processor and mix until you have crumbs like consistency.
  2. Add cold water and pulse until you get the dough.
  3. Turn out onto floured surface and shape into disc. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 15 min.
  4. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  5. Roll out the pastry to fit loose-bottomed tin (23-25cm). Line the tin with pastry (bottom and sides) and trim any overhanging bits with the stroke of a knife against the edge of the tin. Save for later in case you need to patch any holes.
  6. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans (blind baking). Bake on a baking sheet in preheated oven for 15min.
  7. Remove the paper and beans and brush bottom of the pastry lightly with beaten egg which will create a seal. Bake for another 5 mins. Set aside.
    Filling
  1. Turn oven down to 180°C.
  2. To prepare the filling take the skin off the mackerel, tear the fish into small pieces and scatter them evenly over the pastry.
  3. Put cream, beaten eggs, horseradish, chives/spring onions and pepper into the large jug and mix vigorously.
  4. Pour the mixture over the mackerel and bake for 30-35 min until set and golden in colour.
  5. Let it stand for 10 minutes before removing from the tin. Best eaten slightly warm or room temperature.
  6. Enjoy!

Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish

I’m linking my Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish with the following pages:

Cook Blog Share hosted this week by Kirsty over at Hijacked by Twins and Eb from Easy Peasy Foodie

Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice

Bake of the Week by Helen at CasaCostello and Jenny at MummyMishaps

Simple and in Season hosted by Katie at Feeding Boys

Casa CostelloHijacked By TwinsLink up your recipe of the week

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• Reply All That I'm Eating

Oh this looks so good. I love fish with horseradish, especially an oily fish like mackerel, this sounds just perfect.
    All That I’m Eating recently posted…Spicy Sticky Chicken Skewers with Very LazyMy Profile

June 28, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Thank you so much! This flavour combination is marriage made in heaven isn’t it. Two very bold flavours and they work! 🙂 x

June 28, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply jenny walters

Jo this looks and sounds incredible.What a brilliant idea!x
    jenny walters recently posted…Rice SaladMy Profile

June 28, 2017 at 7:05 pm

June 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply Corina

It looks delicious! My mum made quiches all the time when I was growing up and I really miss them now. I probably make about 2 a year as my family aren’t quite so keen. I’d love this as smoked mackerel has such a lovely flavour. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

June 28, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Thank you Corina! It’s totally opposite for me 🙂 Only discovered and fell in love with quiches few years back. My husband is a fan and boys like them mostly because of pastry (I’m ok with that as long as some of the filling disappears too) 🙂 I love smoked mackerel and it works really nicely here. As always, pleasure to link up! x

June 29, 2017 at 6:37 pm
  • Reply Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie

Love this recipe! I really like smoked mackerel and quiches, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had the two together. Must try that!! Eb x
    Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie recently posted…Easy No Mayo Coleslaw (Dairy Free, Egg Free & Vegan)My Profile

June 28, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Eb! If you like both separately you should hopefully like my little combo, fingers crossed 🙂 xx

June 29, 2017 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

I love horseradish and I bet it is lovely with mackerel. Must try this! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x
    Kirsty Hijacked By Twins recently posted…Venison Sausage CasseroleMy Profile

July 1, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Thanks Kirsty! Horseradish goes ever so well with rich oily fish like mackerel so hope you like it. x

July 2, 2017 at 7:40 am
  • Reply Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

I love quiche Jo (we’ve just had broccoli & tomato quiche with salad for dinner!) and although we’re vegetarian I know my Mum and Dad would absolutely love this recipe. It’s got wonderful flavours – and the colour is just gorgeous.
    Angela x

July 1, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Thank you lovely lady 🙂 Quiche makes perfect Summer meal doesn’t it although I love it all year round. Your broccoli and tomato one sounds really lovely too. x

July 2, 2017 at 7:46 am
  • Reply Jenny Paulin

ooooh I bet this tasted wonderful. I do love smoked mackerel and I can imagine how nice it would be inside a quiche. I don’t often eat quick with a crust (I opt for a crustless version for SW purposes!) , but when I dod – oh its is so darn good! I would happily try a big slice of this!
    Thank you for linking up to #BakeoftheWeek x

July 3, 2017 at 6:23 am

Thanks Jenny! I know what you mean. The quiche with all that pastry crust feels quite indulgent but a little sliver is definitely worth it! 🙂 x

July 11, 2017 at 12:12 pm
  • Reply Helen Costello

I absolutely adore the sound of this recipe – Mackerel is never used enough in my eyes. Brilliant partnership with horseradish to give a quiche some oomph! Thanks once again for being such a great part of #BakeoftheWeek – Very pleased to let you know this is the featured recipe for this week x

July 10, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Thanks Helen! I love cooking with mackerel a lot and actually find myself using the smoked version the most! The horseradish definitely adds a different dimension to the fish although without its heat as such, it is a very subtle addition. Really pleased to be featured recipe this week, thanks! x

July 11, 2017 at 12:10 pm
  • Reply Smoked Mackerel & Horseradish Pâté | Jo's Kitchen Larder

[…] you might have come across at smoked mackerel and horseradish flavour combination before in my Smoked Mackerel Quiche with Horseradish It is such a perfect marriage of flavours and as you can tell something I really, really like. 😉 […]

July 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm