Asparagus must be one of my favourite spring vegetables! I absolutely adore these gorgeous spears and am guilty of eating them straight from the steamer or a pan. Many a time they don’t even make it to the plate but in case of my Pancetta Wrapped Asparagus Soldiers with Fried Egg they obviously did but only just. 🙂
This little recipe is so simple that I was wondering whether it really needs writing up and publishing on the blog but then sometimes the simplest things are not the most obvious so am hoping that some of you will find it interesting or even inspiring in a “why didn’t I think of that before” kind of way.
Pancetta/streaky bacon/parma ham wrapped asparagus is not a new thing at all, in fact asparagus soldiers are quite popular and you see them all over the internet. Serve them under the duvet of fried egg (runny yolk is a must for me) fresh basil and few parmesan shavings and you got yourself a feast! Of course you could also dip your soldiers in soft boiled eggs but I thought fried egg could make a nice change here.
This little recipe would be fantastic as a laid back weekend breakfast or brunch , lunch or even light supper. Add some gorgeous toasted sourdough bread, few slices of tomato and/or avocado and it really becomes all singing and dancing, full-blown meal!
If you are after some more asparagus recipes, make sure you take a look at these Asparagus and Parma Ham Twists with Pesto which proved to be extremely popular on the blog but then what is there not to like about asparagus wrapped in parma ham and puff pastry? They are so easy and quick to make and perfect for picnics. Another one worth trying is this delicious Asparagus and Spinach Soup which is lovely and light – perfect Spring/Summer time soup if you ask me.
Pancetta Wrapped Asparagus Soldiers with Fried Egg
- 250 g asparagus or 10 spears
- 10 slices/rashers pancetta/streaky bacon really thin
- 2 eggs free range if possible
- fresh basil
- oil, salt, pepper
- Prepare your asparagus spears by snapping off woody ends. The best way to do that is to hold each spear and bend it gently until it snaps naturally. Discard the ends.
- Wrap each spear in pancetta or streaky bacon starting at the bottom of the spear. For thicker spears you might need slightly more pancetta/bacon.
- Heat up griddle pan or frying pan until really hot. Add a glug of oil and using kitchen tongs, place wrapped asparagus spears onto a pan. Make sure you don't overcrowd the pan and you can hear nice sizzling sound so you might have to do this in two batches. You want lovely colour on your pancetta. Very thin asparagus spears will take 2-3 min on each side but thicker ones can take up to 5 min or even more on each side. Once you are happy with doneness of your soldiers set them aside onto the plate lined with paper towel to soak up the fat.
- Fry the eggs in a frying pan with a little oil as you like them.
- To serve divide asparagus soliders between two plates and top with fried eggs. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh basil and parmesan shavings. Serve with lightly toasted bread, avocado and tomato slices (if desired). Enjoy!
- You can buy paper thin pancetta but if you are using streaky bacon slices and they are slightly thicker make sure you adjust time in the pan accordingly. They will need longer frying to render the fat and get that crispiness you are after.
- Another delicious alternative to pancetta or streaky bacon would be thinly sliced parma ham.
Make sure you stay up to date with all the latest recipes from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Have you tried my Pancetta Wrapped Asparagus Soldiers with Fried Egg? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Pancetta Wrapped Asparagus Soldiers with Fried Egg with the following pages:
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too