Today’s recipe is one of those super easy, family friendly meals which can be prepared in minutes using very few ingredients. Did I get your attention? These Easy Chickpeas & Carrot Falafel Burgers are quick and easy to prepare, wholesome and quite unintentionally on my part, vegan and gluten-free too!
My kids absolutely adore burgers. Give them meat patty in a bun and they will not ask any questions but dive straight in. So much so that when I first served my falafel burgers to them, they went for it without hesitation. After first bite there was a slight pause followed by “What burgers are these?” and without waiting for my answer they went straight in for another bite. That was few months back now and they have since been putting in special requests for these lovely, meatless burgers.
Ingredients & easy swaps suggestions
You might have noticed from the photos that my falafels are slightly purple-ish in colour. The reason for that is the addition of purple carrots I had in my veg box when I was making this particular batch of burgers to photograph for the blog. They are in coleslaw too. Another way to get this purple hue would be by using some grated, raw beetroot instead of carrot. I think it would work really nicely here.
I have recently discovered and started cooking/baking with gram flour* (chickpea flour) which is (as it turns out) quite versatile, naturally gluten-free and really good for you too. It is widely available in most supermarkets but if you don’t currently have it and don’t fancy buying it either, simply substitute it in this recipe with regular plain flour (remember to use gluten-free kind if you want to keep these gluten free).
Our favourite ways of enjoying Easy Chickpeas & Carrot Falafel Burgers
For us these burgers are pretty much store-cupboard ingredients supper as all of the items on the list you will find in our kitchen at any given time. Our favourite way of serving them is in my easy homemade flatbread and with simple side of buttered sweetcorn and my Creamy Coleslaw or Easy Grated Carrot Salad as a side and topping in one. Myself and hubby are also known for “flooding” our falafel burgers with my homemade Tzatziki sauce which works soo well here. Simple green salad or even some chips or sweet potato wedges would be nice too.
Recently I’ve tried these with a side of Mexican (I know, I know) Homemade Fresh Tomato Salsa (Pico De Gallo) and they pair together really well.
More recipe ideas you might enjoy!
This comforting Easy Veggie Lentil & Bean Chilli (Vegan) is ready in just over 30 minutes and delivers on both ease and flavour! Have I mentioned how nutritious it is? If 30-minute meals are you thing you will love this 30-minute Vegetable Egg Fried Rice. Perfect midweek meal for busy families!
These “pop in the oven and forget about” easy roasts are worth checking out too – Easy One-Pan Salmon & New Potatoes Bake and Roast Chicken with Wild Garlic Pesto & Shallots. They both take under an hour in the oven with minimum input from you! How great is that!
However, if you are searching for a lovely veggie centrepiece for a special occasion, check out my Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Veggie Wellington. It’s a winner!
Easy Chickpeas & Carrot Falafel Burgers
- 2 400g tins of chickpeas drained and well rinsed
- 1 large or 2 smaller carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves and stalks
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (and more to taste)
- 2 tbsp (heaped) gram flour (chickpea flour) or plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil/rapeseed oil
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl of food processor and whiz until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as per your liking.
- With floured hands shape the mixture into 4 large patties (feel free to adjust the size of the patties as per your needs especially when feeding kids when small size patties would be more appropriate).
- Heat up the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry your falafel burgers until nicely browned and warmed through ( 3-4 minutes per side).
- Serve in a bun or flatbread and sides of your choice.
- Nutritional information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
- Feel free to whiz your falafel mixture to the consistency as per your liking. My kids like their patties really smooth but we prefer them slightly coarser.
Make sure you stay up to date with all the latest recipes from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Have you tried my Easy Chickpeas & Carrot Falafel Burger? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them! You can also come and say hello over on my Facebook page, Twitter or Instagram
Pin Easy Chickpeas & Carrot Falafel Burgers for later!
I’m linking my Easy Chickpeas & Carrot Falafel Burgers recipe with the following pages:
Cook Blog Share hosted this week by Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more. I only recommend products I own or really like and which caught my attention. Thanks in advance for supporting Jo’s Kitchen Larder!