This gorgeous Double Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella Cream & Maltesers was one of many chocolate treats on our table during Easter. This one was specifically requested by the hubby who adores this dessert and I’m right there with him. Fully assembled it looks rather pretty so it is perfect for those special occasions and is most certainly extremely rich but light at the same time.
As with any pavlova, I would highly recommend baking the base in advance as best meringues need time to bake and cool slowly. With little pre-planning, once you’ve got the base, all the rest is child’s play. 🙂
Couple of tips I would like to give you when it comes to pavlova and cream filling itself would be:
- You know your meringue is good when it’s crisp on the outside and dense and chewy on the inside. Addition of vinegar should help to achieve this result.
- Be careful when beating/whipping the cream! It is so easy to overbeat double cream and make Nutella butter. 😉 Only seconds can make huge difference between lovely thick cream and butter so keep your eyes peeled! 🙂
Once assembled keep in the fridge and enjoy responsibly. 🙂
Recipe inspiration by Moje Wypieki
Double Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella Cream & Maltesers
Chocolate Meringue Base
- 4 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice I used cider vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp coco powder
- 250 ml whipping or double cream
- 2 Tbsp Nutella
- 50 mls whipping or double cream
- 60 g milk chocolate chopped
- Small box of Maltesers to decorate
Chocolate Meringue Base
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- To make chocolate meringue base whisk egg whites with salt until you get stiff peaks.
- Gradually start adding the sugar (tablespoon after tablespoon) whisking constantly. You should get thick and shiny meringue.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice and whisk some more.
- Last but not least add sieved coco powder and gently fold it into meringue with spatula.
- Prepare your baking tray by lining it with greaseproof paper and drawing a circle (roughly 21cm in diameter). Spoon your meringue mixture onto it and smooth it out.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. As soon as you put your meringue in, lower temperature to 150°C. Bake for 1hr, turn the oven off and let it cool for few hours or even overnight.
- Both cream and Nutella should be chilled. Whip them together until you get thick but soft cream. Be careful not to overbeat your mixture but also not to leave it too liquid like.
- Put cream in a small saucepan and bring almost to boil.
- Take it off the heat and add chopped chocolate.
- Mix gently until you get smooth chocolatey sauce.
- Put it aside to cool and thicken a bit.
- Place your chocolate meringue base on a plater. Fill it with Nutella cream and pour your thickened chocolate sauce over in any way you please. Finish off with as many Maltesers as you want 🙂
Pin For Later!
I’m linking this Double Chocolate Pavlova With Nutella Cream & Maltesers with the following pages:
CookOnceEatTwice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
CookBlogShare hosted by Kirsty at Hijacked by Twins
Brilliant Blog Posts by Vicki at Honest Mum
We Should Cocoa by Choclette at Tin and Thyme