September is upon us, kids are about to return to school and nursery (last year before school starts, sniff, sniff) and I hate to say it but it is time to say goodbye to Summer! It’s been a good one and a busy one too. Trying to juggle major decorating project, keeping kids happy and occupied but also trying to breathe, relax and of course don’t forget blogging and other work engagements. It’s been fun, tough at times and also emotional but we saw it till the end and now WELCOME SEPTEMBER!
I thought I would say farewell to Summer 2017 with quick, easy and delicious pasta and my Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta definitely fits the bill. It’s my Pasta Primavera of late Summer season showcasing beautiful produce. In case you can’t get your hand on fresh broad beans, frozen ones will do just fine. There are still plenty of well priced courgettes about or perhaps you grow your own? And broccoli? Well, we so got used to having it on tap all year round.
A Little Tip!
Just a little tip regarding broad beans. Some of you may find broad beans on a “tough” side (especially at the end of the season). You might want to go to trouble of peeling them (yes you read me right). Peeling shall reveal the most gorgeous and tender green flesh that is anything but tough. I warn you though , it is a bit of a faff but hey, where there is a will there is a way lol. To be honest, I never have a will so we have them as they come (podded of course) but if you are a purist 😉 go ahead.
Without further ado, here it goes!
Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta
- 140 g broad beans podded weight
- 270 g broccoli florets roughly 360g entire head of broccoli
- 1 courgette roughly 140g grated, skin on
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 350 g pasta I used Cavatoni, but any shape will do just fine
- 250 g Mascarpone light
- 20 g parmesan grated
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- olive oil
- ***The quantities of all the veggies used are as per what I had on hand on the day. Your courgette and broccoli might be smaller or bigger so your quantities might vary. Go with what you've got! 🙂 ***
- Wash and grate the courgette (skin on) on the large part of the grater.
- Cook broad beans and broccoli florets in a pan of salted boiling water until cooked but broccoli slightly al dente and nicely holding their shape. Set veggies aside and cook your pasta in the same water according to packet instructions. Drain but save some of the veggie/pasta water.
- Heat tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan, and gently fry crushed garlic and grated courgette until softened.
- Add mascarpone, grated parmesan, zest & juice of lemon and mix well.
- Add cooked pasta, broad beans and broccoli and stir gently to warm them up in a pan.
- Add splash of saved pasta water to loosen sauce a bit, season to taste.
- Plate up and serve with additional sprinkle of grated parmesan and some fresh basil if you wish.
If you like this lovely pasta why not to try my Spring Lemon and Dill Salmon Pasta with Asparagus and Peas or perhaps Veggie Lentils and Spinach Lasagne (Batch Cooking Recipe)
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta with the following pages:
Meat Free Mondays hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too