Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Spread the love...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest28Share on Yummly2Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon77Email this to someonePrint this page

With October now in full swing, it is so difficult not to give in to some “pumpkin love” lol. If you are a foodie who loves cooking and baking you will most certainly eat or make a dish containing this gorgeous veg. It’s simply unavoidable! My little guide to Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree should get you on your way to fabulous autumnal bakes.

I do cook with pumpkin a lot around this time of year although at other times I tend to use widely available butternut squash instead. Having said that, I also keep a little stash of pureed pumpkin in the freezer for times when we fancy a lovely pumpkin treat outside of the season.

Pumpkin Puree is really easy to make as the title of this post “Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree” suggests 😉 . It is worth a bit of time it takes especially if (like me) you struggle getting your hands on the tinned stuff or prefer not to. Personally, I think it tastes better too. There are, however, few details that are worth bearing in mind before you embark on making your own puree.

Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree Tips!

• Choose your pumpkin carefully. Large, carving pumpkins are not really suitable. Go for small(ish) standard cooking pumpkin (no bigger than 2 kg) or venture into the world of different varieties of smaller pumpkins (there are so many lovely and colourful varieties).
  • Roasting is my preferred way of making pumpkin puree as roasted pumpkin retains less moisture. There is no oil required for roasting, simply cut cleaned pumpkin into chunks, place on a baking tray and pop in the oven. Roast at 180C for approx 40 min, until your pumpkin is fork-tender.
  • Don’t be tempted to peel the skin off before roasting. It will be super easy afterwards (you won’t even need a knife) 🙂
  • Save those seeds!!! All they need is a little wash and they are fantastic roasted! Try my Smoked Paprika Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.
  • If your puree is really dry, add a drop of water (you DO want some moisture).
  • If it is too watery simply put it in a bowl and let it sit for few minutes. The excess water should separate from the puree itself and you should be able to just pour it off. It is a bit tricky as puree itself will want to follow the water 😉 but I find it easier than draining it on the sieve with some muslin cloth (that’s another way to do it).

Storing or freezing!

• Store your pumpkin puree in the glass jar in the fridge and use within 5 days otherwise it is better to freeze it.
  • Freeze in plastic bags with the seal (I love the ones from famous Swedish furniture store) 😉 Make sure you fold the sides of the bags to prevent the seal from getting covered in puree. Get as much air out as possible before sealing. You can also flatten your bags for easier storage.
  • I tend to put roughly 1 cup of puree (220-240g) per bag. It’s easy to remember plus that’s usually the amount I need and can be easily doubled.
  • Frozen puree will easily last in the freezer for several months. Defrost overnight in the fridge or in the microwave.
  • The pumpkin I used here was just under 2kg and it yielded 870g of puree (4 portions). The puree wasn’t too dry or too wet this time.

If you are wondering what to make with such a lovely glut of orange deliciousness, then let me tempt you with this Pumpkin & Plum Conserve Steamed Pudding It requires a little patience but boy is it good! If you are after something less time consuming than make sure to check out these Pumpkin & Cinnamon Muffins with Plum Jam

Below you will find some more fabulous recipes by my fellow bloggers which all use pumpkin puree! 🙂

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones by Lucy at Baking Queen 74.

Butternut Squash Cheese Straws by Mandy at Sneaky Veg

Spiced Pumpkin Cookies for Halloween by Corina at Searching for Spice

Pumpkin Cake Bars by Cat at Curly’s Cooking

Dairy Free Pumpkin Brownies  by Monika at Everyday Healthy Recipes

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake (No Bake) by Kat at The Baking Explorer

Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree

I’m sharing my Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree with the following pages:

Cook Blog Share hosted this week by Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie and Kirsty at Hijacked By Twins

Hijacked By Twins
Link up your recipe of the week

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• Reply Mandy

Such a useful post Jo. I usually steam my squash to make puree (mainly for speed) but I’ll try roasting it next time to compare the difference. I certainly prefer the taste of roasted squash so it makes sense that it’ll be delicious! Thanks for linking to my butternut squash cheese straws!

October 17, 2017 at 11:36 am

Thanks Mandy! I find roasting gives you less watery puree plus for some reason I always feel it brings all the wonderful sweetness out bit better than steaming. Thank you so much for your butternut squash cheese straws recipe. Such easy and fantastic snack! x

October 17, 2017 at 11:42 am
  • Reply Lucy

This is brilliant I am so lazy and never wondered about making my own pumpkin puree before but now I know how to do it I can see even more pumpkin goodness in my life!! Thanks for linking to my scones.

October 17, 2017 at 11:48 am

Thanks Lucy! 🙂 I am absolutely in love with this humble veg! Having lots of pumpkin puree at the ready is great for our tummies (not so much my waistline). Thankfully my hubby and kids are fans as well and that helps a lot! Love your pumpkin scones recipe, thanks so much! x

October 17, 2017 at 11:56 am
  • Reply Cat

I’ve always bought pumpkin puree but now thanks to your recipe and advice I will definitely give making it myself a try! Thank you for linking to my pumpkin bar recipe x

October 17, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Cat! 🙂 It’s so easy isn’t it plus you get exactly what it says on the tin lol 😉 I love your Pumpkin Cake Bars – perfect pumpkin puree based bake! x

October 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply Rheagan

I make my pumpkin puree pretty much the exact same way! It’s great for pumpkin butter!

October 17, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Hi Rheagan, Thanks for stopping by! 🙂 Pumpkin butter sounds really nice! I have never tried or made it before but now will have to look it up lol! Intrigued! 🙂

October 17, 2017 at 7:41 pm
  • Reply Corina Blum

I definitely like to make my own pumpkin puree rather than buying it and it is so easy to make too. I sometimes boil and sometimes roast it depending on how quickly I want it. I do agree that roasting is much better for bringing out the sweetness. Thanks for mentioning my pumpkin cookies too x

October 17, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Thanks Corina and pleasure! Your cookies sound and look fantastic! Would you believe I have never ever tried tinned version of pumpkin puree? It’s not cause I’m such a domestic goddess that only makes things from scratch lol 😉 but because I have not been very luck at getting the stuff. However as it’s so easy to make it’s no bother really. x

October 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm
  • Reply jenny walters

This is a great idea.I couldn’t find any tinned near us.Tesco have stopped stocking it or they have at my local store.,M&S didn’t have it either.Apparently Sainsburys do but I’d lost the will to live by then!Lovely pics!xx
    jenny walters recently posted…White Chocolate Rice Krispie GhostsMy Profile

October 21, 2017 at 7:53 am

Thank you! x Oh yeah I know what you mean I can never get my hands on the tinned stuff and I’m not the type to go searching (one stop shopper me) lol. If It’s not there, oh well better luck next time. There is never better luck when it comes to tinned pumpkin, I swear it doesn’t exist lol. Anyway, homemade is easy peasy so no harm done 🙂 xx

October 21, 2017 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

We are going to a pumpkin festival next week where the children, all three of them, will get a pumpkin to carve. I am going prepared with food bags so that I can keep the flesh. This is such an easy way to make puree. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

October 21, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Thanks Kirsty! It is indeed, roasting is definitely a way to go especially that it doesn’t take a lot of time in the oven at all, well under an hour which is pretty good. Pumpkin festival sounds fantastic! Have a fab time! x

October 21, 2017 at 6:28 pm
  • Reply Choclette

What a good idea to batch make pumpkin puree. I’ve only ever done it when I needed it for a cake and it turned making the cake into a bit of a chore. Love pumpkin and your puree looks fabulous. #CookBlogShare

October 22, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Thank you! I know what you mean as I’ve done it before too. Now I feel super smug when all I need to do is take a bag of puree out of the freezer 🙂 x

October 24, 2017 at 8:32 pm
  • Reply Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

What great tips Jo! I love pumpkin and squashes, but can you believe I have never baked with it!! I know where have I been! 😉
    Angela x
    Angela / Only Crumbs Remain recently posted…Date Tart with a Lattice CrustMy Profile

October 23, 2017 at 8:16 am

Thanks lovely! I’m a bit pumpkin obsessed at the moment to be honest lol and wholeheartedly recommend giving it a go in baking, you’ll love it! x

October 24, 2017 at 8:36 pm
  • Reply Jacqui

What a really useful post!. so many recipes from the states use pumpkin puree which is so much harder to get here. It s good idea to make your own and freeze it.
    Jacqui recently posted…Cumberland Rum NickyMy Profile

October 23, 2017 at 11:47 am

Thanks Jacqui! I am never lucky enough to get my hands of tinned puree and as it requires relatively little effort, and I was eager to bake with it, making my own was the way to go 🙂 x

October 24, 2017 at 8:38 pm