Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta

Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta
Spread the love...Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest20Share on Yummly2Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon3Email this to someonePrint this page

September is upon us, kids are about to return to school and nursery (last year before school starts, sniff, sniff) and I hate to say it but it is time to say goodbye to Summer! It’s been a good one and a busy one too. Trying to juggle major decorating project, keeping kids happy and occupied but also trying to breathe, relax and of course don’t forget blogging and other work engagements. It’s been fun, tough at times and also emotional but we saw it till the end and now WELCOME SEPTEMBER!

I thought I would say farewell to Summer 2017 with quick, easy and delicious pasta and my Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta definitely fits the bill. It’s my Pasta Primavera of late Summer season showcasing beautiful produce. In case you can’t get your hand on fresh broad beans, frozen ones will do just fine. There are still plenty of well priced courgettes about or perhaps you grow your own? And broccoli? Well, we so got used to having it on tap all year round.

Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta

A Little Tip!

Just a little tip regarding broad beans. Some of you may find broad beans on a “tough” side (especially at the end of the season). You might want to go to trouble of peeling them (yes you read me right). Peeling shall reveal the most gorgeous and tender green flesh that is anything but tough. I warn you though , it is a bit of a faff but hey, where there is a will there is a way lol. To be honest, I never have a will so we have them as they come (podded of course) but if you are a purist 😉 go ahead.

Without further ado, here it goes!

Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta

Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta

Yield: 4

• 140g broad beans (podded weight)
  • 270g broccoli florets (roughly 360g entire head of broccoli)
  • 1 courgette (roughly 140g) grated, skin on
  • 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
  • 350g pasta ( I used Cavatoni, but any shape will do just fine)
  • 250g Mascarpone light
  • 20g parmesan (grated)
  • zest & juice of 1 lemon
  • olive oil
  • ***The quantities of all the veggies used are as per what I had on hand on the day. Your courgette and broccoli might be smaller or bigger so your quantities might vary. Go with what you've got! 🙂 ***

1. Wash and grate the courgette (skin on) on the large part of the grater.
  2. Cook broad beans and broccoli florets in a pan of salted boiling water until cooked but broccoli slightly al dente and nicely holding their shape. Set veggies aside and cook your pasta in the same water according to packet instructions. Drain but save some of the veggie/pasta water.
  3. Heat tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan, and gently fry crushed garlic and grated courgette until softened.
  4. Add mascarpone, grated parmesan, zest & juice of lemon and mix well.
  5. Add cooked pasta, broad beans and broccoli and stir gently to warm them up in a pan.
  6. Add splash of saved pasta water to loosen sauce a bit, season to taste.
  7. Plate up and serve with additional sprinkle of grated parmesan and some fresh basil if you wish.
  8. Enjoy!

If you like this lovely pasta why not to try my Spring Lemon and Dill Salmon Pasta with Asparagus and Peas or perhaps Veggie Lentils and Spinach Lasagne (Batch Cooking Recipe)

Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta

I’m linking my Creamy Broad Beans, Courgette & Broccoli Pasta with the following pages:

Meat Free Mondays hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes

Cook Blog Share hosted this week by Jacqui from Recipes Made Easy and by Monika at Everyday Healthy Recipes

Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice

Hijacked By Twins
Link up your recipe of the week

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• Reply Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

It does feel sad that summer is over, it feels as though we’ve barely had a summer this yr with all of the wet weather. I’m hoping that we’ll have a late burst of warm weather – I’ve got my fingers crossed 😉
    I love the sound of your pasta dish Jo, it sounds so delicious and very easy to pull together too 🙂
    Angela x

September 2, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Thank you Angela! I’m super optimistic that Indian Summer is on the way 🙂 This pasta is oh so tasty and definitely one of those dinners you get on the table in no time at all. 🙂 x

September 3, 2017 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Jacqui

Oh this look delicious. I always double pod them. Yes its a fafa but until I did that I couldnt stand them. Personally i think it’s worth the effort as the inside is just so tender and delish. But hey each to their own 😉

I can see us making this in my house easy and delish and i might just be naughty and add a little crispy bacon or pancetta on top. Oh dear I’m hungry now!

Thank you for linking to #CookBlogShare
    Jacqui recently posted…Mr.B’s Award Winning Rhubarb ChutneyMy Profile

September 3, 2017 at 8:41 pm

What you like Jacqui, you’re making me look lazy now lol 🙂 I’ve gone into trouble of double podding once and they were really lush but 99.9% of the time I find myself short on time and end up just throwing them in as they are.
      That crispy bacon on top would work so nicely, wouldn’t it! Mmm. x

September 3, 2017 at 8:49 pm
  • Reply Cat

This looks really tasty and I love the shape of pasta you have used!

September 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Thanks 😊 It’s the first time I’ve used this shape and it worked really nice plus looked quite pretty too lol

September 4, 2017 at 4:24 pm
  • Reply Corina Blum

This is a lovely pasta dish for late summer! My kids have just gone back to school and pre-school today and it really does feel like summer is coming to an end. It’s great to still have lovely fresh green produce like in this recipe though. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x

September 6, 2017 at 9:22 am

Thank you! It’s funny how the moment we see September on the calendar that’s it, it’s autumn now! Weather isn’t helping either. All the wonderful summer foods are still here though but not for long hence my most likely last quite summery creation 🙂 x

September 6, 2017 at 9:47 am
  • Reply jenny walters

Jo this looks and sounds beautiful…..again!!My husband would love this as he is almost obsessed with broad beans.I’m not so but didnt realise they were so much improved by peeling.Will def try this and earn some brownie points!xx
    jenny walters recently posted…Malted Milk Sandwich Biscuits.My Profile

September 8, 2017 at 6:42 am

Thanks Jenny! 🙂 Double podding definitely improves the taste but I have to warn you it does feel like a bit of a punishment lol. Thinking about it it could be good, character building task for the kids 🙂 Now, that’s an idea! xx

September 8, 2017 at 7:55 am
  • Reply Kat (The Baking Explorer)

This looks delicious, it would be a perfect week night meal and I bet great heated up the next day too!
    Kat (The Baking Explorer) recently posted…Nutella CakeMy Profile

September 10, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Thanks Kat! 🙂 It definitely is quick and easy to put together and leftovers taste as good too, perfect for lunch the next day! x

September 11, 2017 at 10:20 am
  • Reply Izzy

This looks amazing, can’t wait to try it. I bet asparagus would be a lovely addition to this dish too!
    Izzy recently posted…Preparing for Autumn: Hibernation EssentialsMy Profile

September 26, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Izzy! I agree with you, asparagus would go really well here too!

September 26, 2017 at 5:13 pm