Aubergine, Tomato & Mozzarella Bake

Aubergine, tomato & mozzarella bake
Spread the love...Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest18Share on Yummly2Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon1Email this to someonePrint this page

Do you like aubergine (eggplant)? I do, and like it a lot! Unfortunately for me my kids and especially the husband don’t. In hubbie’s case it has got something to do with “horrific” moussaka he was fed at school as a kid. Bless him. 😉  The thing is , he will now not have it in any shape or form. Kids are not too keen either. Oh well.

From time to time I manage to sneak this gorgeous veg into stews or rich tomato based sauces but what I really want is to eat it in its full glory, knowing that I’m in fact, eating said aubergine. That’s how my super simple and utterly delicious Aubergine, Tomato & Mozzarella Bake was born. It became my lunch or occasional lone dinner favourite (together with mushrooms on toast) – another veggie hubby won’t touch with a bargepole (man’s got issues) 😉

Reading the recipe you will notice that there really isn’t much to this dish and salt and pepper are the only seasoning here. The reason being, I really wanted for the flavour of the veggies to shine through. Add lots of fresh basil on top and generous drizzle of  extra virgin olive oil and you’re sorted. Big slice of buttered crusty bread doesn’t go amiss when you’re really hungry either. 🙂

If, it happens, you are not a fan of basil, sprinkle of dried or fresh oregano will work really nicely here. My Perfect Greek Tzatziki could be a lovely addition on the side if you’re after more defined flavours.

Aubergine, tomato & mozzarella bake

Aubergine, Tomato & Mozzarella Bake

Yield: 2-3 lunch portions

• 1 aubergine (eggplant)
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes
  • 1 mozzarella ball (125g drained weight)
  • 7 Tbsp breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • salt, pepper
  • fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil

1. Slice your aubergine into medium thick slices, season lightly with salt and pepper on both sides and set aside.
  2. Prepare two plates or shallow pasta bowls. Add eggs to one bowl and whisk them lightly and breadcrumbs to another bowl.
  3. Dip your aubergine slices (one at a time) in egg followed by breadcrumbs.
  4. Heat tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan and fry aubergine slices on both sides until breadcrumbs are golden in colour (you might have to add a bit more oil). Drain on a plate covered with paper towel.
  5. Cut your tomatoes in half and slice each half. Drain and cut your mozzarella in half and slice each half.
  6. Prepare ovenproof baking dish and layer your fried aubergine slices, tomatoes and mozzarella as pictured below.
  7. Place under the preheated grill to melt the cheese slightly (you could also do it in the oven preheated to 180°C for about 10min).
  8. Sprinkle with as much fresh basil as you want and drizzle with some olive oil.
  9. Enjoy!

All that veg and I must admit, it isn’t the healthiest of dishes due to fried aubergine slices and some mozzarella but little goes a long way here and boy is it worth it! This bake is best eaten warm with bits of mozzarella still oozing beautifully but don’t fret if (like me) you are the only one eating it. It reheats just fine either in the oven or if you’re impatient even quick blast in microwave will do.

If you are after some more easy veggie deliciousness why not try my Asparagus & Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto or Veggie Lentils and Spinach Lasagne

Aubergine, tomato & mozzarella bake

I’m linking my Aubergine, Tomato & Mozzarella Bake with the following pages:

Meat Free Mondays hosted by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes

Cook Blog Share hosted this week by Eb from Easy Peasy Foodie and Jacqui from Recipes Made Easy

Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice

Simple and in Season hosted by Katie at Feeding Boys
Hijacked By Twins
Link up your recipe of the week

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• Reply Claire

Yum, I love your combination :D.

August 22, 2017 at 4:31 am

Thank you Claire! 🙂

August 22, 2017 at 9:59 am
  • Reply Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie

Oooh yum! So my kind of dish…I love all these flavours and I love how quick and simple it is too. I think this is the sort of thing I would happily eat rather too much of! Sadly my hubby and kids DO like aubergines, so they would probably want some too – gah! 😉 Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare. Eb x
    Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie recently posted…Italian Style Lamb TraybakeMy Profile

August 22, 2017 at 11:52 am

Thanks Eb, I’m glad you like it! 🙂 It is such a lovely little dish for sure. You are so lucky your lot do like aubergine. Whenever one appears in our kitchen my husband looks at me suspiciously wondering whether I am going to disguise it somehow in one of my dinner concoctions. lol 😉 x

August 23, 2017 at 7:43 am
  • Reply Corina Blum

This looks gorgeous! I have a similar problem with aubergine as my husband is not especially keen but I can get him to eat it occasionally. My daughter refuses to eat it along with all other vegetables but Master Spice loves it! Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x

August 23, 2017 at 5:36 am

Thanks Corina! 🙂 You understand my struggles then lol but at least you have got company and can enjoy it with Master Spice 🙂 I’m trying not to get put off though and in fact another aubergine has made an appearance in my kitchen today! x

August 23, 2017 at 10:49 am
  • Reply Jenny Paulin

oh my how good does this dish look? so delicious is what! I have to admit I am not a huge fan of aubergine BUT I think I could happily eat it served this way x

August 23, 2017 at 11:44 am

Thanks Jenny! 🙂 Breaded and pan fried aubergine is so tasty and moreish and I’m so glad you like the look of the dish. x

August 23, 2017 at 2:19 pm
  • Reply Jacqui

all I can say is Yes please! I just love this combo
    Jacqui recently posted…16 best raspberry recipesMy Profile

August 25, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Jacqui! 🙂 It is so good especially now when both aubergine and tomatoes are in season and taste the best!

August 25, 2017 at 1:27 pm
  • Reply Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

I love tomatoes, mozzarella and basil together and I am always looking for new ways to add aubergine to our meals so this would be perfect! x #CookBlogShare
    Kirsty Hijacked By Twins recently posted…Jazz Apple Breakfast PotsMy Profile

August 27, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Kirsty! It’s such a gorgeous combination of flavours isn’t it? Enjoy! x

August 28, 2017 at 8:11 am
  • Reply Jhuls

This looks really delicious. I love that it is very easy to prepare, too. Thanks for sharing!

PS: I hope you’ll also stop by at Fiesta Friday party! We’d love to have you there. 🙂 http://fiestafriday.net/

August 29, 2017 at 9:51 am

Thank you Jhuls, I’m glad you like it 🙂 It’s been one of my favourite lunches this Summer. Thank you for the invite to Fiesta Friday! I will be popping over for sure. 🙂 x

August 29, 2017 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply Kat (The Baking Explorer)

This looks delicious, I would love this for lunch or dinner!
    Kat (The Baking Explorer) recently posted…Treat Petite September 2017My Profile

September 2, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Kat! It was my favourite lunch this Summer!

September 3, 2017 at 9:18 pm
  • Reply Jacqueline Meldrum

That looks delicious Jo. I’ve featured it in this week’s Meat Free Mondays and shared it too.

September 4, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Thank you! 🙂 I will be over soon to take a look at all the delicious recipes and do some sharing too! x

September 4, 2017 at 8:51 pm